Originally Shenk’s, and later Bomberger’s, the whiskey company which ultimately became known as Michter’s was founded in Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania in 1753
The passage of Prohibition in 1919 forced the distillery, along with other American spirits producers, to shut its doors to the public. Although the distillery did reopen after the repeal of Prohibition, it changed hands many times over the next few decades and frequently occupied a precarious financial position. During the 1950s, Lou Forman, one of the distillery’s then-owners, created the modern Michter’s brand name by combining portions of his sons’ names – Michael and Peter
In the 1990s, Joseph J. Magliocco and his consultant and mentor Richard “Dick” Newman teamed up to re-build the Michter’s brand. They began with a simple strategy – to honor the Michter’s legacy by producing the best whiskey possible, cost be damned!
Today, Michter’s has two locations in Kentucky – a 67,000 square foot distillery in the Shively section of Louisville and, currently under renovation, the architecturally significant Fort Nelson Building in downtown Louisville